Master’s of Journalism, expected graduation: 05/2014
Concentration: Multimedia reporting, digital media
New York University, College of Arts and Science, New York, NY
Bachelor of Arts, graduated 05/2011
Majors: Journalism, Middle Eastern Studies
Related coursework: Writing (2007), Foundations of Journalism (2007), Journalistic Inquiry (2008), Reporting the Middle East (2008), Foreign Correspondence (2008), Journalism Ethics and First Amendment Law (2009), The Quest: Magazine Journalism (2010), Point of View: Opinions Writing (2011), Storied NY: Literature (2011), Web Design and Computers (2011)
Languages: Fluent in Urdu; 5 years of Spanish; 2 years of Arabic; 2 years of Persian
* Reporting intern for the Chicago Sun-Times, June 2013 – August 2013
* Reporter for Oakland North, August 2012 – May 2013
Education beat, general assignments, multimedia. Elections, Occupy coverage. See clips section.
* News Intern for Suburban Life Publications, May 2012 – August 2012
Daily news reporting on the communities of Downers Grove, Westmont, Lemont and Bolingbrook, IL. See clips section.
* Media coordinator for the India Education Fund, September 2011 – May 2012
Planned and executed social media campaign and blog; directed redesigning of website.
* Reporter for The Ismaili, Jan. 2010-Dec. 2011
International reporting and writing on Ismaili Muslim community affairs; fact-checking; editing. See clips section.
* Editorial Intern for The Huffington Post, Oct. 2011-present
International research and reporting; creating photo and video packages for news stories; covering breaking World news. See clips section.
*Research Intern for Newsweek International, Sept 2010-Jan 2011
International news reporting, writing, pitching story ideas; fact-checking, editing. See clips section.
*Editorial Intern for Reader’s Digest Association, May 2010-Aug 2010
Copy editing, content research, CMS work; helped produce and launch Gardening section on website. See clips section.
* Reporter, Ops. Writer for the Washington Square News (NYU), Sept 2007-May 2008
Campus and local news reporting and writing; fact-checking and research; opinions articles. See clips section.
* Writer for Crossings Magazine, Sept. 2008-Sept. 2009
Wrote op-ed pieces for the Spirituality section. See clips section.
* Intern for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, New York, March 2008- May 2008
Researching news for relevant stories; primary organizer for campaign event
* Editor-in-Chief for The Stinger, Hinsdale South High School, Aug 2003-June 2007
Served as Editor-in-Chief for over one year; Opinions Editor for three years; contributed op-eds in monthly column,“Et cetera”; fact-checking, editing, pitching stories, running staff of 12-15 people
Microsoft Office; Adobe Creative Suite; Movable Type, Teamsite and Teambase (CMS); HTML,CSS, jQuery; social media (Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Hootsuite, WordPress, Quora and more); photography; video shooting and editing
*For more information about any of the above experiences, please feel free to contact me.